Tobacco Control Data Initiative- Research Manager
CSEA, a non-profit research think tank based in Abuja, Nigeria, invites highly motivated and experienced candidates interested in working in Sub-Saharan Africa to contribute to the design, implementation, and facilitation of the Tobacco Control Data Initiative (TCDI) platform.
CSEA is a leading think tank in Africa on Tobacco Control Research and has continued to advocate for the use of evidence-informed policy around tobacco control in Africa. These impact-driven strategies and activities have over the years helped to stimulate rigorous debates on the effects of tobacco on the economy and health sectors.
CSEA won the bid to lead the TCDI 2.0 initiative across six African countries. The TCDI aims to supply sub-Saharan African governments, civil society, and academia with improved access to country-specific data that will inform better tobacco control policy design and implementation.
About the Role:
As the Research Manager, you will support the management of TCDI 2.0 across seven African countries and help in building partnerships to facilitate uptake and capacity development among CSOs and policymakers in Africa. You will also support government engagement and collaborations with diverse stakeholders.
The Research Manager’s role may include but are not limited to the following:
- Support in managing the dedicated platforms on Tobacco Control Data Initiative.
- Manage relationships with stakeholders: Work with relevant government officials, research firms and other tobacco control experts in Africa.
- Lead in the development of a sustainability plan that details expansion into additional countries.
- Organize research dissemination events, such as country data launches or workshops promoting the information available in TCDI.
- Releasing impact surveys.
- Lead research and survey efforts around tobacco control research in seven focus countries.
- Develop and document appropriate research methodologies and methods, evaluation strategies, and research tools or ideas for further investigation.
- Execute other duties that may be required.
- Lead in the development of data collection protocols where primary data collection is needed.
- Lead in conducting desktop research, and using books, journal articles, newspaper sources, and other sources to gather data.
- Lead in the selection and contracting of research firms that will support data collection in the respective countries.
- Lead in the development of manuscripts across the focus countries.
- Lead in developing policy briefs in the respective countries.
- Working effectively with team members, partners, funders, and other stakeholders; overseeing the delivery of high-quality research; and ensuring that they make an impact on policy and practice.
- Execute other duties that may be required.
Required skills and experience
CSEA seeks candidates with the following:
- PhD in Economics, public policy, international development, statistics, public health or other relevant disciplines with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience conducting cross-country research or programme management. We encourage applications from candidates, particularly those with expertise in related fields such as public health, public policy, international development, or other relevant social science disciplines.
- Demonstrated expertise and familiarity with health research (or other public program areas) in Global South contexts, along with hands-on experience working in Sub-saharan Africa. Preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrated history of successful collaboration with NGOs, governments, and/or health system actors.
- Demonstrates experience in conducting research and policy-level analysis Demonstrates broad knowledge of economic policy development; demonstrates strong analytical skills and writing ability to help identify and assess policy issues in support of policy dialogue.
- Operational project management: Demonstrates broad knowledge of project management tools and methodologies; identifies risks and mitigation measures; interprets background analysis and proposed solutions.
- Communication: Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Team working and relations: Works with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing the kn,owledge and workload. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to the creation of a positive team environment. Ability to work and cooperate with others from diverse backgrounds; demonstrated the mature sense of judgment.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and coordination skills. Ability to work accurately, methodically and to meet deadlines.
- Competence in the use of office software packages, experience in handling web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data.
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
- Ability to lead formulation and evaluation of development programmes and projects.
- Ability to contribute to CSEA Practice Areas and actively work towards continuing personal learning and development.
- Ability to provide top quality policy advice services on tobacco control and related issues.
- Demonstrate creativity and innovation.
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills.
The Research Manager will report directly to the Director of Research at CSEA and will work closely with members of the team at Development Gateway and CSEA, and is expected to work from CSEA offices in Abuja, Nigeria.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected]
**Applications due February 10, 2024.**
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.